Policy guidance is provided by senior personnel from the MoES, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and the European Union Delegation through the Program Steering Committee. Technical implementation is managed by senior MoES personnel, in Vientiane and in the Provinces, with advice and guidance by international and Lao technical advisors working directly with Ministry personnel.
The BEQUAL team is made up of MoES, DFAT, non-government organisations, national and international expertise working all together as one. BEQUAL is very much dependent upon the skills and professional commitment of all associated with BEQUAL.
The technical and collaborative partnership is very important as it allows the delivery of a number of key educational activities. In recent time the BEQUAL team has successfully managed:
- The drafting and piloting Grade 1 curriculum materials. This has also involved partnering with JICA and other donors working with MoES.
- The rehabilitation of over 300 schools so the classroom environment is appropriate for active learning.
- The collaboration with NGOs, teachers and community members to encourage reading and increased participation of disadvantaged students in classroom learning.
- The implementation of Lao language learning activities in remote ethnic communities, so they are better positioned to progress through primary school.
- The assessment of basic Lao language and maths skills of Grade 3 students, largely working through Provincial Education and Sports Service (PESS) and District Education and Sports Bureau (DESB) networks.
On behalf of all associated with BEQUAL, I wish to thank the entire BEQUAL team for their collaboration and professional commitment to improve the quality of educational delivery across Lao PDR.